Thursday, February 26, 2009

Dust...

Last night I went to Sheridan Lutheran's Ash Wednesday service. After the sermon they had communion and we went up and received ashes on our foreheads. The man that was painting them on our foreheads said to us, "you are dust and to dust you will return." For some reason this short sentence hit me like a ton of bricks.

Lately I have come to the realization that my walk with God has been distant and needs some improvement. I haven't felt God the way I used to or had the desire to be close to Him. But, I have realized this and am trying to make amends.

Dust...

Someday I will return to dust... we all will... What truly matters the most in this life is our relationship with God. If we don't have that, we have nothing. So often I try to replace the longing for God with material things, people, accomplishments and it ends up being ever so empty.

So before the day comes that we will go back into the earth I pray that I/we will live vibrant, adventurous, abundant lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment